What is your stomach trying to tell you about your digestive tract?
Stomachaches happen! While abdominal pain can be uncomfortable and even a little inconvenient, it’s usually nothing to worry about; however, it is important to be able to recognize when abdominal pain might be a warning sign of something more serious. Our Stockbridge, GA, gastroenterologists can listen to your symptoms, ask you questions and find out whether your abdominal pain might require additional care.
What could be causing my abdominal pain?
Most of the time stomach aches and pains aren’t usually anything to worry about and will typically subside in a couple of hours. The most common harmless causes of abdominal pain include,
- Gastroenteritis (referred to as the “stomach flu”)
- A food allergy or intolerance (e.g. Celiac disease)
- Food poisoning
- Menstrual cramps
These other causes of abdominal pain may often require a closer look or additional treatment from our qualified team of gastroenterologists here in Stockbridge, GA,
- Inflammatory bowel disease (e.g. Crohn’s; ulcerative colitis)
- Peptic ulcers
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Kidney stones
When should I consult a doctor?
We know that you most likely won’t be able to tell whether your abdominal pain is due to gallstones or something you ate. Of course, our team of gastroenterologists are qualified to be able to figure out what’s causing your pain and how to best treat it. You should seek immediate medical attention if,
- You are dealing with severe abdominal pain
- Your pain radiates to the shoulders or chest
- You have a very high fever
- You notice yellowing of the skin or eyes
- Your stomach is hard or tender to the touch
- You experience nausea or vomiting
- You have black stools or bloody diarrhea
While not as urgent, you should give us a call to schedule an appointment if,
- Your abdominal pain keeps coming back
- You are still dealing with stomach problems for a couple of days
- You have persistent diarrhea that lasts days
- You notice unexpected weight loss
No pun intended, but in this case, it’s best to trust your gut. If you feel like you need to see our Stockbridge, GA, gastroenterologists then it’s probably a good idea to give us a call.
Fortunately, Southern Gastroenterology Specialists has offices in Locust Grove, Riverdale, Stockdale and Jackson, GA, to serve you better. Call us today at (770) 692-0100 to schedule an appointment.